Soul Eater Roleplay

Welcome to SERP, a roleplaying site for the all time favorite anime, Soul Eater!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Soul Purge?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
VagrantAtHeart
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member
VagrantAtHeart

Soul Purge? Empty
PostSubject: Soul Purge?   Soul Purge? I_icon_minitimeApril 15th 2016, 12:39 am

https://souleaterrp.forumotion.com/t4893-kessler-angel-of-lord-death

"Kessler can strike an corrupted opponent with a Soul Menace that can purge 15 consumed souls. He can only use this 5 times in a single thread. After training with this ability by successfully performing it 15 times, he'll be capable of using it with little to no effort"

Personally I love the way that this ability feels kind of wrong when it works. In my humble opinion, if changes were to be made to it I would describe soul purging as an effect that reduces the kishin egg's total soul count. I also honestly think that the 5 times per thread is a pretty weak sauce debuff. A situation where you could get of five good enough hits to get off a successful soul purge is rarer than the ability implies. Also any situation where you would need five or more soul purges (which it is for you deducts 65 souls) is also probably a situation that would kill you anyways. If they were five attempts that would be better, but then it loses its purpose of making things that are hard to attack easy to attack. Anywho, time to get on task.

Because I feel that Velvy's abilities are creative and seem to imply an awareness of a particular flaw in this game that bothers me, I present to you all my suggestion on how soul purge should work (because if it is getting approved there should be site wide rules for it) on this site.

The main purpose of soul purge, IMHO, is to turn a corrupted soul into an innocent one. How do we show that mechanically? We know that the difference between a corrupted soul and an innocent one is the fact that they have consumed innocent souls (it could also be the madness caused by that, but Velvy was going for the souls approach so that is the one I'll cover.

And to illustrate the concept I will be using Steve Racer, the speedy Kishin egg. Here is his ability tree.

Ability name Description Souls invested/ Soul Maximum
Sick Rims The vehicles that Steve drives all become unbelievably fly. 60/60
N02 Stevie can give himself ridiculous speed boosts. 25
Drifting By utilizing is nasty driving skills Steve can over come even the sharpest of turns. 60/120
Total souls: 60 + 60 + 25 = 145

The following abilities all stack, except for effects that are the exact same.

1. Removing the influence caused by eating souls:
    Basic (Tier 1):

2. Weakening Evil:
    Tier 2:

3. Disabling evil at a cost & actually purging soul:
    Tier 3:

When a target has at leas one ability that has zero innocent souls invested in it they can charge up a special Soul Purge as their only form of attack in that post that causes all abilities that have been reduced (reduced is important here) to zero invested souls to be "Purged"*(see below), or they can instead choose to have their Soul Purge target an abilities with more than one innocent soul invested in it. (the same rules for targetting abilities still apply. Least invested souls yada yada yada.)

*"Purged": any ability that is "Purged" is unable to be used any more in any thread. Unless the specific soul purge technique says other wise, this ability cannot be reacquired.

Please comment below with criticism, anything that should be added/ removed, or discussion on Soul Purge in general.
Back to top Go down
LeolaniLiaMay
Admin
Admin
LeolaniLiaMay

Soul Purge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soul Purge?   Soul Purge? I_icon_minitimeApril 20th 2016, 4:21 pm

The issue is that we do not currently have anything worked out for exorcism wavelengths. Besides which, the character is too young to be able to achieve something so massive.

Even so, an Exorcist wavelength was used on Crona/Ragnorak. They didn't become _innocent,_ they were just no longer Kishin Eggs. There is, by technicality, a difference between a Kishin Egg and a Corrupted Soul; you can be a messed up enough person to get on Shinigami's List without once eating a soul. How Corrupted someone is does necessarily mean how much they've nommed. It's about how pure their spirit is. Technically, in his alliance with Asura, Justin Law became corrupt, but he did not become a Kishin Egg. There's a difference, and eliminating soul count won't change that, just remove the side effects of the souls consumed.

Either way, I must say that I am really impressed and glad that you took the time to go through all of this, Vagrant. Kudos.
Back to top Go down

Soul Purge?
Page 1 of 1