Soul Eater Roleplay

Welcome to SERP, a roleplaying site for the all time favorite anime, Soul Eater!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

To bring up a point made long ago....

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

To bring up a point made long ago.... Empty
PostSubject: To bring up a point made long ago....   To bring up a point made long ago.... I_icon_minitimeMay 18th 2014, 12:29 pm

https://souleaterrp.forumotion.com/t1083-ticked-off

This is still going on. I just have one simple question: If you're walking around the streets of Death City, what are the chances that you will NEVER run into someone unexpected? Private threads should at least have to follow some form of logic about why they're private. Obviously, if you're walking around in public, you're going to run into other people who you, most likely, wouldn't normally hang around.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To bring up a point made long ago....   To bring up a point made long ago.... I_icon_minitimeMay 18th 2014, 5:40 pm

That is why most of my threads are open.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To bring up a point made long ago....   To bring up a point made long ago.... I_icon_minitimeMay 18th 2014, 5:53 pm

I can see and understand the logic behind all of that, but sometimes they are simply for two people in engage in a smaller part of their character's stories, ergo, it's simply for character development, and sometimes having random people jump in isn't what you need at all, quite the opposite. And when you leave it open, there's a chance somebody could just join to initiate a fight, and we know that the possibility of losing a character due to death in combat is all too real.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To bring up a point made long ago....   To bring up a point made long ago.... I_icon_minitimeMay 18th 2014, 6:03 pm

Why would you have characters trying to get to know eachother out in the middle of the street and not expect that someone might but in? I mean, if I tried to go through some issues with someone on a crowded sidewalk, for example, of course there's a chance someone's going to stick their nose into our buisiness. And then there's another thing that could come up from this....

So, say 2 Kishin Eggs decide to work together and makes a private thread. They could just post back and forth openly slashing up people in Death City in broad daylight for 30+ pages or so to grind up souls and become a Kishin with NOBODY able to stop them. Normally, the only counter for a Kishin is that they're at higher risk of being hunted by the DWMA but by staying in only private threads, your Kishin Egg could be unstoppable until he or she is strong enough to take out most people from the DWMA with ease.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To bring up a point made long ago....   To bring up a point made long ago.... I_icon_minitimeMay 18th 2014, 6:19 pm

1. Somebody could certainly intervene or begin to talk with others about their situations/issues in the middle of the street, even though that doesn't tend to happen often, they would probably try to leave anyway, get somewhere private, because it's not any of the other person"s business to begin with. When was the last time you got yourself involved with people's private conversations on a street?

2. That's a much different circumstance. In this story going on a full scale massacre isn't something that can simply be between to Kishin Eggs because it causes too much attention to be drawn to them, neigh, the entire city they are in. So confronting other people, especially with the existence of the DWMA, is unavoidable. You just have to be realistic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To bring up a point made long ago....   To bring up a point made long ago.... I_icon_minitimeMay 18th 2014, 6:37 pm

So people not doing anything when two people are, say, arguing in the middle of a crowded intersection is ok but people not wanting to get involved with a horrific monster that would want to kill them is unrealistic?

I just don't see how either situation makes sense IC. If you're in a public area, of course people are going to be around you. That's the entire point of doing stuff out in public! Like I could get if you're in China or something because people could BS popping up there and it would be too much of a coincidence. But just the walking around the streets of Death City, where nearly everyone lives, should warrent some IC reason to be private. Like, for example, you're in an allyway. I can see how people wouldn't normally find your OCs there. But it makes no sense for people to be unable to find you just walking around the city in general or for a thread at the Chupra Cabras or whatever to just be private.

In fact, I'd argue it doesn't make sense for threads just walking around the halls of the DWMA to be private, either, since assumably 80% or so of the people in the school are player-controlled characters, so you'd be highly likely to run into an OC there at some point.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To bring up a point made long ago....   To bring up a point made long ago.... I_icon_minitimeMay 18th 2014, 7:51 pm

Obviously in real life that kinda of situation that I explained would warrant the opposite, but this isn't real life. Here kids fight power crazed adults and in the end take their power via souls. That doesn't happen in real life of course, or we'd all be concerned about the possibility that somebody would be hunting your for power or various situations. In this "world" combat is almost normal, it happens everyday, and everyday for different reasons, but it never ends. So yes, it does imply that someone causing such a commotion would be met with some sort of conflict eventually. Also because the gain of power in this very rp is the cause of single-handed destruction and fear, and etc. then it's very important to get involved, and it's the concern of every person who fights the good fight.

But in public I understand what you mean, people in fact are everywhere and you make very valid points, but that doesn't mean it should be required, by any means whatsoever. And furthermore, like I stated before, when cities are being massacred, it's the DWMA's job to step in making impossible to be private, but nobody HAS to get involved when two people hold a public conversation.

But otherwise I entirely understand what your saying. In areas highly populated by the majority of the on-site characters your bound to run into each other once, if not several times. So a walk through the halls, visiting places in Death City, and even aimless wandering; if it's in Death City, just about anyone should be allowed to get involved.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To bring up a point made long ago....   To bring up a point made long ago.... I_icon_minitimeMay 19th 2014, 3:23 pm

That's an issue that for the most part, we've left up to user discretion. So far, I feel like it has worked out well. If you don't like private threads, the answer is simple; don't make one. I think Linxy made a very good point about character development being something that would best be left to more private threads. And some, as you may have seen, are private, but you can ask to join. Which I feel like is a nice compromise between the two.

Though, this whole thing brings up an interesting idea. Debate threads! Whoo!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To bring up a point made long ago....   To bring up a point made long ago.... I_icon_minitimeMay 19th 2014, 4:14 pm

But here's my problem. It makes NO logical sense whatsoever that two people running around the halls of the DWMA, possibly moving past multiple NPCs, to never run into another Player Character. It's not an issue of choice, it's an issue of IC logic. And even going into the OoC logic of it, in my oppinion, private threads defeat the purpose of RPing in general. You're not suppost to know what you're going to run into, you're not suppost to shut yourself in with a small group of people and ignore the rest of the community. In fact, some of the most intresting moments have been the ones where other people show up out of nowhere and added something new to the equation that was unexpected. Should everyone just jump into whatever thread? No, but they deserve the option to if it makes some form of logical or thematic sense.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To bring up a point made long ago....   To bring up a point made long ago.... I_icon_minitimeMay 19th 2014, 4:25 pm

And we see your logic in it. Fact of the matter is, some people prefer it more closed off, and I don't think it's fair to take away the option to let people have private threads. It's user choice. Not something I feel like should be dictated for them higher up the chain.
Back to top Go down
LeolaniLiaMay
Admin
Admin
LeolaniLiaMay

PostSubject: Re: To bring up a point made long ago....   To bring up a point made long ago.... I_icon_minitimeMay 19th 2014, 4:30 pm

Open threads are actually very common on here. Some say "restricted" or "enter upon request," but they are nonetheless common. I will run through the boards to see which ones don't make sense to be private and notify the members, but regardless there is no need to make a big deal out of this. Rules can be changed, but if the majority of the people here don't want them changed then they won't be. This is a democracy now, meaning that a majority vote is required for any and every action to take place. You don't have to like that, but you are one person out of the majority. If people support removing private threads altogether or changing the system then the system will be changed. If they do not support it then everything will remain the way that it currently is.

Deth, the fact of the matter is that you can throw as many rules as you want at people, but if you cage them too much then they are bound to break free. It's not directly stated anywhere, no, but we do encourage people to have more open threads. I know you've been lurking here for at least the passed few days; your little hidden trick doesn't keep the administration from seeing you. If you want back here then come back here and make any suggestions that you feel are necessary, but if you want to just complain then you can leave.
Back to top Go down
LeolaniLiaMay
Admin
Admin
LeolaniLiaMay

PostSubject: Re: To bring up a point made long ago....   To bring up a point made long ago.... I_icon_minitimeMay 19th 2014, 4:35 pm

To bring up a point made long ago.... Image10

We CAN see you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To bring up a point made long ago....   To bring up a point made long ago.... I_icon_minitimeMay 19th 2014, 4:52 pm

Why would that make any difference? The staff effects choices all the time in cases where action needs to be taken to perserve logical sense and continuity. It's the very reason bios that have flawed, nonsensical, histories are held back. Because, while the histories may work and may be the choice of the player making the character, it has to be presented in a way that holds some logic to it IC. Threads should be held to at least the same loose general logic on wether they're open or private with at least some reason for them to be private. As I said, you can still have private threads in a private area, but they shouldn't be restricted by having threads in highly populated public areas be private just for the pure sake of keeping people out.

In fact, in several open threads, I find that new people don't even try to join once they get going. They still could if they wished to, but people already tend to avoid jumping into interaction without a good segway or opening, in my experience.

It's not something I would force to be a rule, but it's just common logical sense and I would hope that most RPers would be able to recognize when it's fair to have a thread sealed off from everyone else and when it makes no sense whatsoever from an IC point of view.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To bring up a point made long ago....   To bring up a point made long ago.... I_icon_minitimeMay 19th 2014, 4:54 pm

Also, I deserve the freaking right to NOT announce when I'm online to the majority of members, that's why the "hide my online status" is even a thing. So, just to be clear, I'd appreciate it if you DIDN'T turn that status off again because I know one of you have done it before and I have a right to keep it on if I so choose.
Back to top Go down
LeolaniLiaMay
Admin
Admin
LeolaniLiaMay

PostSubject: Re: To bring up a point made long ago....   To bring up a point made long ago.... I_icon_minitimeMay 19th 2014, 4:57 pm

And you've been heard. I will edit the rules to accommodate what you've said and to keep people from not being able to join when they want to. I'll even make up a code system so that it doesn't interfere with the title length restriction. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and explaining why you think things need to be changed.

Also, until it was pointed out to me why your name was italicized, I didn't even know that forumotion even had a "Hidden" function, so do not accuse me of altering it. I have done nothing of the sort and have actually been patiently waiting for you to explain why you used it in the first place.

I hope you have a nice day,
-Lani
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To bring up a point made long ago....   To bring up a point made long ago.... I_icon_minitimeMay 19th 2014, 5:06 pm

Well last night someone switched it. I just don't want people to be like "why won't he come on the chat" while I'm waiting on people or working on posts. You seem like a good person, Lani, but I still take issue with what the other Admins have done in the past and would rather avoid that painful discution as much as possible... and it's bound to come up on the chat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To bring up a point made long ago....   To bring up a point made long ago.... I_icon_minitimeMay 19th 2014, 5:10 pm

Actually, none of that stuff comes up at all. And it won't so long as you don't bring it up. It's dirty laundry. And it's in the past. It's fairly easy to deal with if it does come up, too. You say, "I'm not discussing this." and it gets dropped.
Back to top Go down
LeolaniLiaMay
Admin
Admin
LeolaniLiaMay

PostSubject: Re: To bring up a point made long ago....   To bring up a point made long ago.... I_icon_minitimeMay 19th 2014, 5:12 pm

If you don't want to talk then no one can make you do so. When you do, people are willing to listen. I'll see what I can do to make sure that you can keep the hidden status on whenever you need to so long as there's no fighting going on anywhere. If you need anything, feel free to ask, but otherwise, I am going back to Spring Cleaning/Revamp and Roleplaying. PM me if and whenever you need something. Bye and have a wonderful day.
Back to top Go down
Ꭶ☢Ѵʊℛև
Honorary Staff
Honorary Staff
Ꭶ☢Ѵʊℛև

PostSubject: Re: To bring up a point made long ago....   To bring up a point made long ago.... I_icon_minitimeMay 19th 2014, 5:22 pm

Wait...we have a hidden option!? I should use that just to mess with people...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To bring up a point made long ago....   To bring up a point made long ago.... I_icon_minitimeMay 19th 2014, 5:24 pm

I thought you guys knew about it... I never use it, but I assumed you admins did at least. I could reassure myself that when I was online by myself that others were with me. 😢 
Back to top Go down
LeolaniLiaMay
Admin
Admin
LeolaniLiaMay

PostSubject: Re: To bring up a point made long ago....   To bring up a point made long ago.... I_icon_minitimeMay 19th 2014, 5:28 pm

DON'T WORRY, PHIL, I STILL LOVE YOU *tackles Phil to the ground*
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To bring up a point made long ago....   To bring up a point made long ago.... I_icon_minitimeMay 19th 2014, 5:30 pm

:D *receibs hug at the cost of suffocation*
Back to top Go down
LeolaniLiaMay
Admin
Admin
LeolaniLiaMay

PostSubject: Re: To bring up a point made long ago....   To bring up a point made long ago.... I_icon_minitimeMay 19th 2014, 5:32 pm

:D
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To bring up a point made long ago....   To bring up a point made long ago.... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To bring up a point made long ago....
Page 1 of 1